Exercise can be simple, enjoyable and doesn’t have to take up hours of time. Tone up and burn calories by building these simple yet effective activities into your day.
For 10 minutes while watching TV, place a cushion between your legs, squeeze and release
- Whilst waiting for the kettle to boil in the kitchen, hold onto the side and lift and pulse the leg behind you. Perform until the kettle boiled
- While brushing your teeth perform side leg lifts a minute on each side
- Squat holding shopping bags or water bottles. Perform 10 squats and repeat three times
- Engage your core muscles whenever you are cooking. Take a deep breath in and as you exhale, imagine pressing your belly button back towards your spine. Make sure you don’t just suck in your stomach.
- If you have stairs at home walk or run up and down them a few times
- Walk to your errands (post office, shops, picking your children up from school). If you speed walk to these destinations you will burn more calories.
- During your work lunchbreak, put on your joggers and walk around the block with a friend. Talking will take your mind off the walk and it will feel like it is over extremely fast. You will probably walk further if you strike up a good conversation.
- Whilst waiting in queues (e.g. at the bank or shops) squeeze or abdominal muscles for 10 seconds and then relax. Do this for the whole time you are waiting in the queue. No-one will notice what you are doing but it burns calories.
- Walk the extra mile: Take the stairs instead of the lift; find a parking spot far away from your building so you get a little extra walking; if you take the bus or train to work, get off a stop before your office and walk the extra distance.
- Before showering in the morning (or evening), do 50 crunches and push-ups on the floor of the bedroom. It takes me only about five minutes to complete.
- Vigorous housework burns calories. Wash the car by hand instead of taking it to the carwash, scrub the shower, vacuum.
- Run around with your kids at the park; play cricket, soccer or frisbee. They will love it and you spend quality time with your children.
- Watch TV and take phone calls standing up. Watching a good comedy and heartily laugh out loud. 100 hearty belly laughs burns as many calories as 10 minutes on the bike at the gym.
- Walk up the escalators instead of waiting for it to take you to the top.
- Mow the lawn and set time aside for gardening
- Stand on tiptoe while hanging up washing – this will help reshape your calves
- Go swimming or register for a dance class with a friend